How I can FTP from Europe to USA ?

Tim Pointing tim at dretor.dciem.dnd.ca
Thu Nov 16 04:45:26 AEST 1989

In article <2782 at brazos.Rice.edu> EAJUAN at EBRUPC51.BITNET writes:
<Ed's Note: I have heard rumors that uunet.uu.net has a service that can be
<used by any site which does not have FTP capability to retrive things from
<FTP sites, where you send them the site and name of the file and they will
<FTP it for you and then mail it back to you. I don't really have the full
<information on this though, I've just heard that the service exists.  I'd
<welcome any comments from someone that knows their real policy on this,
<especially since this may not be a service extended to "everyone in the
<known universe".

The proxy-FTP service offered by uunet does exist but is available only to
uunet customers. There is no way that they could afford the time and
manpower that would be required to handle FTP requests for any old
non-Internet type. Also, since most of the FTP'able files are quite large,
it would be quite unfair to ask systems between uunet and the requesting
system to pass along the file.