Sun 4 lookalike/thinkalikes

Russ Fellows fdr at solbourne.com
Thu Nov 16 05:05:45 AEST 1989

I am somewhat biased, on the information that I am giving but not much.
There is currently one Sun 4 compatible workstation shipping.  Solbourne
Computers is currently shipping 100% binary compatible (guaranteed)
workstations.  Since you seemed to be most concerned wiht HEAVY compute
ability, and less so with IO performance, Solbourne's machines are quite
applicable.  Currently the price/ performance advantage over Sun's is as
high as 3 to 1.  Solbourne is the ONLY company currently shipping 33 MHz
Sun 4 SPARC machines.  Also, the machines are designed around a central
bus (about 128 Mb / sercond) with the ability to have up to 4 CPU's and 64
MB of memory in one machine.  Since the OS is designed around a
master/slave relationship some applications (particularly parallel type
programs, such as Neural Net simultaions) have a 4X performance over 1 CPU
systems.  Also, the 33MHz SPARC board gives about 2X the performance of a
16MHz Fujitsu board (Sun 4 currently uses 16 MHz Fujitsu).

Thus for about 2 times the money of a Sun 4 you can get a Solbourne Series 5
(the 33 MHz Cypress chip), which could give you 8X the performance for your
applications.

Solbourne's address is:

		Solbourne Computers Inc.
		1600 Pike Rd.