How I can FTP from Europe to USA ?

EAJUAN at EBRUPC51.BITNET EAJUAN at EBRUPC51.BITNET
Thu Nov 2 18:50:00 AEST 1989

On several of the back issues of SunSpots there are references to freely
available programs installed on several servers all around the world.

I am very interested on accessing several servers in the USA with public
domain software. However, here in Spain we have no direct access to the
USA ARPA net.  So the question is : how can I manage to FTP to these
servers ?

Some of them (e.g. the Rice one) can be accessed via e-mail but many others
not.

Going from one of the computers on my Institute I have access to Digital Decnet
through which it is possible to reach USA computers (someone has told me
that these computers are the ones connected to Hepnet). A possible
solution to my problem would be to login to one of these computers
connected also to ARPA, FTP'ing the software and sending it back to my
computer in Spain. However, I have no account on them. Does somebody know
whether there exists a public account on any of these machines which
allows me to do that ?

Does anybody has any other suggestion ?

Thanks in advance and best regards from Spain.

           Joan Ilari i Valenti     EAJUAN%EBRUPC51.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
           Assoc. Professor         EAJUAN%TOP.UPC.ES at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Ed's Note: I have heard rumors that uunet.uu.net has a service that can be
used by any site which does not have FTP capability to retrive things from
FTP sites, where you send them the site and name of the file and they will
FTP it for you and then mail it back to you. I don't really have the full
information on this though, I've just heard that the service exists.  I'd
welcome any comments from someone that knows their real policy on this,
especially since this may not be a service extended to "everyone in the
known universe".