sunOS 4.0.3 update

Frederique Vernhes vernhes at dolphin.mit.edu
Thu Nov 2 05:54:43 AEST 1989

I need help! I have a sun3/60 server, and a sun3/60 diskless client. I
upgraded the server and the client to sunOS 4.0.3. Now, I am trying to
boot the client over the ethernet, with no success. This is what happens.
It seems the client finds its IP address. According to the SunOS system
administration manual, pp.41,42, the next step is for the server to look
in its tftpboot directory for a filename that is the hexadecimal
representation of the client's IP address. Such a file does indeed exists,
and is a link to boot.sun3 (so far, things look like they should). Then,
the server is supposed to send the appropriate /tftpboot/boot/sunx program
over the network. I strongly suspect that the server sits back, and does
not send anything out to the client.  According to the manual, servers
that do not have the correct file in their tftpboot directory will wait a
short while before replying, so as not to overwhelm the client with error
messages.  I have this sinking feeling that this server is not responding
at all, but I don't know why!!  If any of you out there has any idea as to
what is happening, I would be extremly grateful if you could send me some
help.

Thanks in advance
Fred.