OpenWindows 1.0

David O. Rich dor at lanl.gov
Wed Nov 8 10:10:34 AEST 1989

I'm running OpenWindows 1.0 on my SparcStation 1 (SunOS 4.0.3c).  When
running the File Manager one can modify its "properties" in order to
customize its behavior.  I've tried unsuccessfully to specify the default
document editor to be emacs.  What happens is that when I click on some
file or another, emacs is fired up (surely enough) but the file is never
loaded into a buffer.  The file is, in fact, opened as a new file.  If I
look at the buffer contents I can see that the full path to the file I
clicked on is NOT correct.

Also, if I specify the default editor to be "emacs" rather than "shelltool
emacs", emacs comes up with 2 empty buffers: one for the file and one
called "-WL".  When I use "shelltool emacs", I get only one buffer, but I
get two windows: one for the shelltool and one for emacs (presumably
because emacs was compiled with the HAVE_X_WINDOWS flag set).

Anyway, has anyone run across these features? Any workarounds?

--Dave (dor at lanl.gov)