OpenWindows 1.0

khb at sun.com khb at sun.com
Tue Nov 28 12:24:25 AEST 1989

In article <3188 at brazos.Rice.edu> it is written:

>I'm running OpenWindows 1.0 on my SparcStation 1 (SunOS 4.0.3c).  When
>running the File Manager one can modify its "properties" in order to
>customize its behavior.  I've tried unsuccessfully to specify the default
>document editor to be emacs.  What happens is that when I click on some
>file or another, emacs is fired up (surely enough) but the file is never
>loaded into a buffer.  The file is, in fact, opened as a new file.  If I
>look at the buffer contents I can see that the full path to the file I
>clicked on is NOT correct.
>
>Also, if I specify the default editor to be "emacs" rather than "shelltool
>emacs", emacs comes up with 2 empty buffers: one for the file and one
>called "-WL".  When I use "shelltool emacs", I get only one buffer, but I
>get two windows: one for the shelltool and one for emacs (presumably
>because emacs was compiled with the HAVE_X_WINDOWS flag set).
>
>Anyway, has anyone run across these features? Any workarounds?

Try creating this emacsclient1 shell script

#! /bin/csh -f
echo $* > /tmp/emacsclientline
if ( "$1" == "-Wi" ) then
  shift
endif
if ( "$1" == "-WP" ) then
  shift
  shift
  shift
endif
if ( "$1" == "-WL" ) then
  shift
  shift
endif
emacsclient $*

(presumably you have emacsclient laying about ...)

set the tool property to emacsclient1

and make sure you have emacs up and running and meta-x server-start.

cheers

Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman at sun.com
It's Not My Fault   |	MTS --Only my work belongs to Sun*
I Voted for Bill &  | Advanced Languages/Floating Point Group
Opus                | "When the going gets Weird .. the Weird turn PRO"

"There is NO defense against the attack of the KILLER MICROS!"
			Eugene Brooks