4.3BSD Tahoe UUCP on Suns

Farooq Butt harvard!lectroid!!fmbutt at ursa-major.spdcc.com
Fri Nov 3 08:01:02 AEST 1989

I have lately had the dubious pleasure of porting 4.3 Tahoe UUCP to our
Sun 3/480 server running 4.0.3 and ran into some pretty strange "gotchas"
regarding 4.3 extensions.  My favorite was the the 4.3 "getopt extension,"
it seems the gurus at Berkeley had modified their getopt(3) routine to
deal with single dashes (i.e. "command - ").  The SunOS getopt did not
like single dashes and since many commands in UUCP wish to have single
dashes as arguments, they failed.  My question is...are there any other
gotchas that anybody would like to share?  This would help us immensely
and avoid unnecessary bug-hunts.  I certainly would hate to have to link
Tahoe UUCP with 4.3 BSD libc in its entirety. I just know that there is
another "getopt" just waiting to bite me! :-) UUCP wizards, this is your
cue!!

PS: When Tahoe UUCP works, it works FAAAAAR better than Sun UUCP.  Of
course, it's not HDB but.....