SunUserGroup 1990 Conference Program Committee

Bob Brown rlb at riacs.edu
Fri Nov 17 18:15:17 AEST 1989

For the first time ever, in 1989 the Sun User Group Conference (this
December in Anaheim) had a program committee to review papers from our
user community for presentation at the conference.  The committee was
small and overworked, and we're looking for VOLUNTEERS for the committee
for the 1990 conference.

We had a prestigious committee this year, chaired by myself, Bob Brown
(RIACS, NASA Ames), and included Phil LeFebvre (NWU), Steve Miller (U of
MD), Christine Reynolds (Clemson U), Vicky Dean (Rice U) and Barry Shein
(Software Tool&Die).  Our target was 20 user-application papers.  We
easily met that goal.  Next year our goal is 50.

We need more members, and will be expanding our committee to 10.

If you are interested in participating, please write to me directly at the
address above.  We will hold a "call-out" meeting at the 1989 conference
to discuss strategy and tactics for pulling in 50 high-quality papers.
Last year, I initiated the committee; this year we will select a
chairperson by consensus consent (I am up for re-election for the board
and may not be re-elected).

Duties of committee members will be principally the solicition of papers
and the review of those papers.  The Committee Chair is responsible for
advocacy, paper collection and distribution, and final selection.

Compensation is provided for committee members. This year is was waiving
of conference fees -- this is negotiable for next year.

Please write if you are interested and I will provide more details.

Bob