need X11 server binaries for sparcstation1

Mark Whetzel markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
Thu Nov 30 08:33:33 AEST 1989

We have been working with our sparcstation1 sun's and have been using the
X11/NeWS server and are rather disappointed with it's performance running
with motif 1.0 window manager.  Also as we are only really using it for
it's X server we feel we should be getting a good performing server for
our money.

One of our disappointments with the XNeWS server is it is completely
unlike the MIT X.  Color tables, font libraries and other details about
the NeWS software are so different that comparisions are difficult.  One
of our main complaints is the color tables. SUN's choices map to very
washed out colors in the case of MWM (motif) compared to the colors used
by OpenLook running the postscript window manager. Color choices by name
are very pale and dim, especially compared to other (IBM) hardware and
monitors.  Maybe we are just not doing something right.  Our local SUN
reps are less than helpful, since we are not using THEIR window manager.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a source of X servers/libraries that
are available for a fee? We are considering getting the MIT X tape and
rolling one ourselves, but we thought that we would ask about before
trying this.

As the sparc1's have a CG6 color display with the GX enhancements is there
a server that takes full advantage of the hardware?  We would be willing
to discuss fees for properly liscensed and maintained code.

Our london offices have been using a company? called TORCH for their X
servers, but this was for sun3's.  Are there similar services available
here in the USA?

Please E-mail me at the address in my signature below, or USMail at

Western Geophysical
10001 Richmond Ave.
Houston, Texas 77042
ATTN: Mark Whetzel Room 4524

Thanks.

Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,
A Litton/Dresser Company           DOMAIN addr: markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
				   UUNET address:  uunet!airgun!markw