Sun printer help!!

Steven V. Christensen schriste at uceng.uc.edu
Thu Nov 9 01:29:09 AEST 1989

I am having a problem with the serial port on a Sun 3/60. It runs to a
device called a "Buffalo Box" - it is essentially a smart buffer/
multiplexer so multiple PCs can use the printer.  The Sun is the only
non-PC hooked to the box.

The "user" selects which printer the output will go to via imbedded
control sequences. The Buffalo Box filters these signals out so that they
do not go to the printer.

I am having a problem, in that I can't get the box to recognize the
control codes when the Sun outputs them. I am using the lpr/printcap
mechanism, and wrote a couple of filters which add the control sequences
to the printer before sending the text.

I think there could be a problem with the parity/stopbits coming from the
Sun. The PCs have no trouble selecting the different printers. The sample
printcap entry is included below. I tried fiddling with the :fs and :fc
fields, but to no avail.  Can someone tell me what I need to put in here
to tell the Sun just to send the text out at 8 N 1 with no processing?
Thanks!

------Printcap Entry ------
lp2|laser|HP Laser printer:\
	:lp=/dev/ttya:sd=/var/spool/lpdhp:br#9600:pw#80:fc#0177777:\
        :fs#0000020:lf=/var/adm/lpd-errs:of=/u/schriste/filt/las:

Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.
schriste at uceng.uc.edu