Problems with PC-NFS, hanging the PC

Mike Thompson iotek!mike at uunet.uu.net
Thu Nov 9 02:23:58 AEST 1989

The Problem:

We are running a network with PC's running MSDOS 3.3, PC-NFS 3.0 and
PC-Telnet 3.0, and sun 3/50 and 3/60's runing sun OS3.5 When someone is
logged into one of the SUNs using the PC-Telnet, and they are using emacs
or some other sreen oriented program the PC will very often lockup, even
CONTROL-ALT-DELETE does nothing, only a full hardware reset will get a
reaction.

The Question:

Has anyone else encountered this problem?, Is there a fix?, Do you have
any suggestions?, One guess I have is that there is an escape sequence
that is being sent by emacs that triggers a bug in the terminal emulator
that clobbers the system, but short of randomly twiddling the termcap
entry for vt100 I've no idea which sequence might be causing the problem
(if any).

	Thanks in advance...