SunOS 4.0 and memory

David Cortesi infmx!cortesi at ames.arc.gov
Thu Nov 16 06:52:44 AEST 1989

A few weeks ago I asked about information on adding RAM to a 3/80; others
have asked related questions.  I now have more information which may be of
interest to others.

The 3/60, 3/80 and SparcStation all use the same RAM format, namely

	1 megabyte x 9 bit, 100ns, low profile SIMMs

The ones in my 3/80 were made by Texas Instruments; however they are an
industry standard part.  A T.I. representative verified to me that there
was nothing special or Sun-specific about the part number.

SIMMs are a commodity item whose price changes daily.  The general trend
is downward; a recent posting in this forum claimed that due to a new
factory about to come on-stream prices should plunge in 1990.  (Then
again, new factories are sometimes delayed coming up...)

4MB upgrade kits (4 SIMMs, a grounding strap, and instructions) are
available from these vendors at least (alpha order)

	Clearpoint	1-800-253-2778
	Helios		1-408-432-0292
	Parity		1-408-378-1000

They charge a bit more than the street price for SIMMs (about $500 for
4MB, as of last week).  In exchange you get advice & support from a vendor
experienced with Sun hardware.  If you feel adventurous, you can save
another 25% by ordering from Chip Merchant (1-619-268-4774) who last week
had 9x1Meg, 80ns (faster) SIMMs for $89.  But they know nothing about Sun
hardware; I didn't ask about warranty, return policy or service.

Flat-topped 3/50s can be upgraded by the addition of a piggy-back board.
The above vendors all carry these; they currently charge around $950 for a
board that adds 4MB (total of 8MB).  In all cases they assert there are no
heating problems; that installation is very simple; that if a problem
develops in the board they will fix it.  Regarding Sun service they say
that "at worst" you'd have to remove the board before Sun would work on a
problem; one claimed that if a Sun service person diagnosed a problem in
the board, they would pay for the Sun service call.

Nothing above should be taken as an endorsement of any company, and
especially in regard to warranties your mantra should be "caveat emptor."
Neither I nor Informix have any connection with the aforementioned outfits
- not even as customers as my req. is still working its way through the
purchasing department.

///////   /     David Cortesi               {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!cortesi
////  / ///     Informix Software        //                               //
///  / ////     4100 Bohannon Drive      //      (aphorism goes here)     //
//  / /////     Menlo Park, CA  94025    //                               //