SunOS 4.0 and memory

jim frost madd at world.std.com
Thu Nov 16 06:26:38 AEST 1989

sequent!ccssrv!perry at tektronix.tek.com (Perry Hutchison) writes:
>The "official" word from Sun is that the 3/50 cannot be expanded (other
>than by adding disk and/or tape to the SCSI port).  However, memory
>upgrades of 4 Mb or 8 Mb (for a total of 8 Mb or 12 Mb) are available from
>third-party suppliers.  Ads can be found in Unix World and probably other
>places.

>I have had no experience with any such; however I would anticipate the
>following potential problems:

>1. The power requirements and/or heat dissipation of the additional memory
>   might exceed the 3/50's power supply and/or cooling (airflow) capabilities.

>2. Since the 3/50 was not designed for memory expansion, these offerings
>   have to be connected in unconventional ways.

Helios makes such an expansion that is easy to install and works great.
No problems with cooling, power, etc.  You remove several chips and snap
the board into place in their sockets, then put one of the chips you
removed in a socket on the board.  They even supply the tools to do all of
this.  Takes about five to ten minutes and can be done by anyone who can
handle removing and replacing a chip.

It's simple and it works.  Highly recommended.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd at std.com