Type 3 v. type 4 keyboards

Jeremy J. Epstein virtech!jje at cs.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 17 09:06:38 AEST 1989

I have a Sun 3/160 with a type 4 keyboard (those are the "new" ones with
four funny lights above the numeric keypad).  Unfortunately, the type 4 is
not backwards compatible with the type 3, and in fact requires a different
device driver (or some such thing).  The problem I'm having is that every
time I try to run Mach (instead of SunOS), Mach croaks because it doesn't
recognize the type 4 keyboard.  I've (temporarily) substituted a type 3
keyboard, which works properly, but I can't keep the type 3 (it was
borrowed).

Does anyone know if there are switches or anything else which can be used
to make a type 4 keyboard emulate a type 3?  I've asked Sun and they don't
know.

Thanks for any help!
Jeremy Epstein
uunet!virtech!jje