Can PC software corrupt super-block via PC-NFS ?

Tahsin Choudhuri tahsin%rd-atlas at src.honeywell.com
Sat Nov 11 09:36:12 AEST 1989

One of our file system's super-block suddenly got corrupted and after fsck
with alternate super-block failed, we had to do a 'fix' under diag and
create new filesystem and reload everything from backup tapes!

That partition had paradox, rbase, and lifeline (Sun's mail program for
PC-NFS users) DOS applications and a few other dirs containing some
ascii-text files.  This partition is usually mounted via PC-NFS from PCs
and those PC applications are executed from PCs.

I am wondering is it possible to get the super-block of a partition
corrupted by a PC application. Those who are using PC-NFS and running
various DOS applications has anbody ever had this sort of problem before
(i.e. super-block corrupted) ?  Or was this just a random error in the
disk. If you had any similar experience any comments will be greatly
appreciated.  Please email directly if possible. Thanks.

P.S. We are running Sun-3/280 SunOS 3.5 with Hitachi-DK815, 892MB drive
and PC-NFS 3.0

Tahsin 	Choudhuri, MN10-2515  Internet: tahsin%rd-atlas at src.honeywell.com
Honeywell Inc. ResD MN 55422  UUCP: uunet!src.honeywell.com!rd-atlas!tahsin