Ethernet Troubleshooting

Wayne Little rwl at umree.ee.umr.edu
Wed Nov 15 02:33:31 AEST 1989

I would like to compile an informal manual for low level (ethernet/tcp-ip)
troubleshooting using the standard tools available under SunOS (etherfind,
traffic, netstat, etc).  My motivation is that often when I'm trouble
shooting network problems, I have this queasy feeling that perhaps
something is wrong on the net that is causing the problem instead of the
system software.  We don't have the $$ at present for a Network General
Sniffer or the like, and given our typical university budget, we may not
for some time.  It also seems to me like there is a lot that can be done
just with the standard tools.

Assuming this hasn't been done, I am willing to compile submissions into
some semblance of form/order and repost it to the net.  I am also willing
to invest a few days in trying (verifying) suggestions on our Sun 3s & 4s.

In addition to collecting this information, I would also appreciate
suggestions what format would be appropriate to collect/distribute this
information in.

I think one helpful section could include something like:

1. problem description (symptoms)
  2. command used to investigate
  3. indicative output (output with interpretation - what to look for - what is
     "healthy", what is "sick")
  (2. & 3. repeated as necessary)
4. description of problem resolution

Pointers to other documentation and tools would also be helpful.

Other suggestions?

Has this already been done?

troubleshooting tips, and would also like input on what content & format
would be appropriate.

Thanks,
Wayne Little      Internet: rwl at ee.umr.edu      UUCP: uunet!umree!rwl
Phone: (314) 341-4546  USPS: Univ. of Missouri-Rolla, EE Dept., Rolla, MO 65401

p.s. I cross-posted this to the sun-nets mailing list.