Static and dynamic linking

jne at goldhill.com jne at goldhill.com
Wed Nov 15 02:38:55 AEST 1989

I have an executable "xyz" (no sources, no .o files) that ldd tells
me is dynamically linked with
 -lsunwindow
 -lpixrect
 -lc

I want to override the definitions in one of the files in the dynamic
library for libc.

Is it possible to do any of the following:
 1) Statically Relink xyz with my replaced .o for the file I
    want to override, so that ld.so will not look in libc for the
    file.  OR,
 2) Prepend to the dynamic library list of xyz, so I can add my
    own definition there.  OR,
 3) Rebuild the dynamic link library libc, without sources, either from
    the old  DLL or from the static libc.a.    OR,
 4) Anything else to achieve my goal.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Eisen
Gold Hill Computers