PD editors

Grootwassink, David grootwass at tawc1.eglin.af.mil
Fri Nov 10 06:31:00 AEST 1989

I want to thank everybody that sent me information regarding Public Domain
Editors for the Sun.  I plan on trying them all, and letting my users
decide which they want to keep.

I have run into another problem however:  The Suns are not tied directly
to the INTERNET.  In order to get things to the Sun I have to ftp them to
a VAX running VMS, take that to a 9-track tape, load the 9-track on
another VAX/VMS system, then send it to the Sun via an ethernet DECnet <->
Sunlink DNI connection.

I tried to get the GNU EMACS distribution from titan.rice.edu.  I ftp'd it
successfully, decompressed it (using a DECUS utility called LZDCM), went
to tape, got it to the SUN, and everything appeared to work correctly.
The problem came when I tried to use tar to extract the files.  Tar
successfully pulled out the ChangeLog file, then quit.   The file appears
to be correct when viewed with more.  Anyone have any ideas????

					       	    Thanks,
							Dave