login ignores getty

mills at ccu.umanitoba.ca mills at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Fri Nov 10 06:45:00 AEST 1989

I recently tried to change the default erase character on our Sun-4, under
SunOS 4.0.3, system from <delete> to ^H.  I found that even if I specified
this in /etc/gettytab, it got reset back to <delete> by login.  I had a
similar problem with an attempt to turn off ^S/^Q flow control.  Does
anyone know a way to specify editing characters to login, or tell it to
use the existing ones?  I wound up putting an stty command in
/etc/profile, but the user still sees two sets of editing characters, one
before login, and one after.