Sparcstation 1+ Questions

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.edu
Sun Dec 30 12:04:00 AEST 1990

Hi!  I had a problem with a Sparcstation 1+ today, the first time I had
ever seen one.  I was given the job of installing SunOS 4.1.1 (it's
running 4.1.0) and a couple of things went wrong.  I'm hoping that someone
can point out my errors.

The system has a Quantum 105MB and a Wren 330 MB, 16 MB RAM, a 150 MB
cartridge tape, and a color monitor.  While installing (following the
directions in the Release and Install manual), the system reported that
sd0 (the 105 MB) had no defect table.  The mfgrs' defect table was there,
so I could commit it and reformat (which I did), but I'm wondering where
the defect table went.

I chose the small kernel version of the install, and when it was
finished, an attempt to execute 'ps' gave:
	ps: /dev/mem: read error on ktextseg: bad address
	ps: could not read kernel VM
What does that mean?  What should I do?

I decided to reconfigure the kernel and did so, copying the new vmunix to
/ which is on sd0, but when I rebooted it said "cannot open sd3a" and
asked for a boot device.  I gave it sd0a and the booting went OK.  ???

Finally, how do I display the details of the partitions of each HD?

Thanks and happy holidays,
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math
UUCP:...!princeton!mccc!pjh  1200 Old Trenton Road, Trenton, NJ 08690
Internet: pjh at mccc.edu	     Trenton Computer Festival -- 4/20-21/91