Two keyboards on one workstation?

Daniel R. Kegel dank at tybalt.caltech.edu
Fri Dec 14 07:01:21 AEST 1990

I am a proud administrator of a Solbourne with both a color and a b/w
display.  I'd like to be able to run an X session on one screen/kbd/mouse,
and a completely independent Sunview session on the 2nd screen/kbd/mouse.

The 2nd screen and 2nd mouse are no problem; I can access them
independantly from the 1st set.  The 2nd keyboard is another matter.
Reading /dev/kbd0 accesses the default keyboard, but reading /dev/kbd[23]
doesn't do anything, nor does reading /dev/altkbd; they just sit there.

Has anyone gotten multiple keyboards to work independantly on any SunOS
system?  Alternately, can someone explain to me what happens when /dev/kbd
is opened?  How does it end up talking to the proper zs?

Reply by e-mail & I'll summarize as usual... Thanks!
- Dan Kegel (dank at moc.jpl.nasa.gov)