SunOS 4.1 crashes exiting SunView or OpenWindows

Jon Elion jle at cfm.brown.edu
Sat Dec 1 08:16:17 AEST 1990

Answering my own messages?  The electronic equivalent of talking to
yourself!  I have solved the mystery of the system crashes when exiting
SunView or OpenWindows.  Our .login files all end with:

    echo -n "(S)unview or (O)penWindows?: "
    set answer=($<)
    if ($#answer == 0) exit
    switch($answer)
    case [sS]*:
        /usr/bin/sunview
        breaksw
    case [oO]*:
        $OPENWINHOME/bin/openwin
        breaksw
    default:
        exit
    endsw
    reset;reset;clear

While this worked fine under SunOS 4.0.3., for some reason, the 'reset'
command reproducibly crashes the system.  Invoking OpenWindows or SunView
directly (rather than through the .login procedure) is fine.  Using the
'reset' command at any time causes an instant crash.

So... for now, the 'reset' commands are gone from the .login files.  They
were formerly necessary to reset keyboard (rarely) and to reset the lookup
table for the console (most times).  Is it no longer needed?  Why does it
crash the system??