SUN 4/110, 8 Mb, 140 Mb, 60 Mb Tape, 19in Mono. UPGRADE

Omar A. Karim karim at uncecs.edu
Sat Dec 8 11:52:00 AEST 1990

I have this SUN 4/110 with 8 MB memory, 140 Mb disk, 60 Mb Tape drive and
19 in Mono monitor. It runs at about 0.8 Megaflops, 7 MIPS.  I want to
UPGRADE this if possible, but SUN wants an arm and a head for any possible
upgrade. They clearly would much rather I buy a whole new system, such as
a SPARC 2. I would like an improved performance of 8-10 Megaflops, while
retaining all the peripherals.  I have $7000 or so to spend. Have I stated
my woeful and perhaps common case clearly enough?

I would appreciate any ideas or experience anyone has to offer in the way
of improving the performance of this machine while retaining such things
as OS, compilers etc.

Thanks.

Omar A. Karim
Department of Physics