SUN 4/110, 8 Mb, 140 Mb, 60 Mb Tape, 19in Mono. UPGRADE

Oreo Cat jim at piggy.ucsb.edu
Wed Dec 12 08:17:39 AEST 1990

In article <635 at brchh104.bnr.ca> karim at uncecs.edu (Omar A. Karim) writes:
>I have this SUN 4/110 with 8 MB memory, 140 Mb disk, 60 Mb Tape drive and
>19 in Mono monitor. It runs at about 0.8 Megaflops, 7 MIPS.  I want to
>UPGRADE this if possible, but SUN wants an arm and a head for any possible
>upgrade. They clearly would much rather I buy a whole new system, such as
>a SPARC 2. I would like an improved performance of 8-10 Megaflops, while
>retaining all the peripherals.  I have $7000 or so to spend. Have I stated
>my woeful and perhaps common case clearly enough?

You can get a Sparc 2 with 16mb RAM, 200 meg disk, and 19" monitor for
about $8K with the educational discount.  This is a complete 28 MIPS 4
MFLOPS machine, plus you can hang on to your 4/110 too, or sell it to
someone.  Upgrading doesn't tend to be a very efficient process.

>I would appreciate any ideas or experience anyone has to offer in the way
>of improving the performance of this machine while retaining such things
>as OS, compilers etc.

You might try using gcc instead of cc, but it doesn't seem to improve
things as much on Sparc machines as it does with 68000 or vax machines.

                            Jim Lick
Work: University of California	| Home: 6657 El Colegio #24
      Santa Barbara		|       Isla Vista, CA 93117-4280
      Dept. of Mechanical Engr. |	(805) 968-0189 voice
      2311 Engr II Building     |	(805) 968-1239 data
      (805) 893-4113            |	(805) 968-2734 fax
      jim at ferkel.ucsb.edu	|	bahamut!jim at ivucsb.sba.ca.us