Summary of request for X graphics toolkits

Robertson James jarober at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu
Thu Dec 20 11:10:14 AEST 1990

Thanks for all the information! A summary of what I got follows:

***

If I read correctly recently there is at least an XGKS version, try
mailing someone like xgks-request at unidata.ucar.edu.  Also Sun makes XGL
which is presumably another graphics library and it wouldn't surprise me
if Sunphigs now ran under OW2.

***

There are all kinds of toolkits for X.  The trouble is determining what
suits your present and future needs.  From what you mentioned in your
note, I'd suggest looking at XGKS, which was made at UIUC.  It was
sponsered by IBM, so it probably has a different "look-n-feel" from Sun's
version, but I can't guarantee anything about it, since I haven't had time
to build it yet.  It comes with the standard MIT distribution, in
contrib/toolkits/xgks.  If you're using just the standard Sun stuff, it
ought to be available for anonymous FTP from somewhere around you (or try
expo.lcs.mit.edu, which has pretty much everything distributed on the MIT
tape).

I remember a recent posting about a new release of xgks, but I didn't pay
much attention to it and it has expired on our system (never enough
space).  Sorry I can't be more specific.

***

Depends on what you really want.  You might check out InterViews.  ftp it
from interviews.stanford.edu.  There are a bunch of other toolkits that
offer some graphics also.  Also check out the "Academic Software
Portfolio" available from you Sun sales critter.  there is a bunch of free
or cheep software mentioned there.

***

Release 2.2 of XGKS is now available for anonymous FTP:

    FILE:	pub/xgks.tar.Z
    HOST:	unidata.ucar.edu	[128.117.140.3]