Virus Protection Info-Request

Gideon Sheps gbs at utcs.utoronto.ca
Thu Dec 20 14:03:06 AEST 1990

Info-Request, Thanks in advance to any and all respondants.

I'm looking for anything concerning viruses available :-) on SUN
Microsystem's computers. Also, and more importantly about Virus protection
software available for SUNs.

The company I am currently working with operates a network currently
comprised of a 490 server with SPARC SLC clients (10 now, lots more later)
and a 100 or so strong PC-NFS LAN, and a connected (via INR) SPARCStation
1+ server with more PCs.

Because of the wide spread of the network (currently over a couple of
disparate sites in NJ and NY), the variety of hardware that may eventually
find itself connected to the SUN backbone machines (Macs, misc portables,
potentially any kind of hardware operating over radio modems from anywhere
in the country) they are very concerned about the possibility of viruses
finding their way into the network.  Indeed, they've already had cause to
be thankful they bought Mac virus protection software.

I suppose I should add to this request, a request for PC virus protection
stuff that can operate in this sort of environment. The PCs have access to
common storage on the SUN servers (PC disk partitions) so a virus that
finds it's way in to one of the PCs could spread with alarming rapidity.

Please send email, as I am operating on a direct dial up connection from
NJ to Toronto until we get InterNet in here (comming soon, but never soon
enough).. so I don't have the time to browse through the groups.

Thanks,
	Gideon @ RAM Mobile Data, Woodbridge NJ USA