SUNOS NIT interface

Art Berggreen art at opal.acc.com
Sun Dec 9 08:25:08 AEST 1990

In working with the NIT interface on SUN-3s under SUNOS 4.0.3, 4.1, I've
run into two problems that I'd like to get confirmation on, or better yet,
solutions.

I'm building test tools which need to completely control the Ethernet
packet.

1) When sending a packet out, I can control everything in the Ethernet
   packet EXCEPT the SOURCE MAC address.  The interface's own MAC address
   always gets inserted.  I don't want to dynamically change the interface's
   MAC address because IP may be running.

2) When sending broadcast packets, a copy is made to the receive side of
   the NIT interface, but the SOURCE MAC address appears to be garbage.

If I learn anything new, I'll summarize to the list.

Art Berggreen
art at acc.com