SPARC 2 to replace VAX 8200/VAXstation 2000?

Brain in Neutral bin at primate.wisc.edu
Sun Dec 16 03:34:34 AEST 1990

I have a VAX 8200 which services a user load of about 10-20 users
typically, and a VAXstation 2000 on my desk.  Both of these are pretty
underpowered by today's standards, and the 8200 in particular is expensive
to maintain.

I'm thinking about trying to kill two birds with one stone and replacing
them both with a workstation that's reasonably powerful, e.g., to be able
to service my users.  Will a SPARC 2 do it, e.g., with 16MB, a bunch of
disk, and an 8MM tape drive?  Another consideration I need to think about
is either getting some serial port boards, or going to terminal servers.
Any opionions.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice or war stories.

Paul DuBois
dubois at primate.wisc.edu