OpenWindows 2.0 -- meta in xterm

Fred Lakin lakin at csli.stanford.edu
Sun Dec 16 09:21:33 AEST 1990

I am running OpenWindows 2.0 under 4.1 on a SS1+. I use xmodmap to make
Caps_Lock generate "meta" (see end of msg for .xmodmaprc).  This works
fine everywhere EXCEPT in xterm windows.  The problem is, xterm does not
see the meta thus generated.  Hitting meta-x (x while holding Caps_Lock)
results in "x" in the xterm window (ie has no effect).

This is different than under OW1.0, where meta-x puts a ^[x in xterm
(which is what I expected, and which is useful when, for example, running
gnu emacs on a remote host through xterm).

I assume there is a new default or switch I dont know about (I also notice
pasting INTO the xterm using the mouse does not work in the same way as in
OW1.0). I have looked through change notes and documentation, but must be
missing the crucial info.  Can anyone set me straight?

tnx, f    (lakin at csli.stanford.edu)

;;;*********  .xmodmaprc ****** (also makes Alt_L be control, which
;;;                              works fine in both OW1.0 and OW2.0)

! clear any modifier map entries involving Caps_Lock, Meta_L, Control, Alt_L
clear lock
clear control
clear mod1

! exchange semantics