SUN Memory configurations

Scott J. Kamin onecom!sjk at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 5 13:00:00 AEST 1990

In <431 at brchh104.bnr.ca> srm at unify.com (Steve Maraglia) writes:

> I pulled the below posting for the IPC off comp.sys.sun a few months back.
> We have ordered four IPC's and I'm trying to determine how much additional
> third party memory to buy.  We would like to put 16MB in each system.
>
> Q1. Is the below statement "memory must be added in increments of 4 SIMM
>     modules at time" correct? (if so why? ) or should it say memory must
>     be added in increments of 4MB?  (i.e. I would like to add two 4MB simms
>     not remove the 8 1MB simms and replace them with four 4MB simms).
>
> Q2. If I have to rip out the 8 1MB simms and replace them with four 4MB
>     simms are the 1MB simms the same type used in the SPARCstation 1 & 1+?

Yes, the SS1, 1+, and IPC all require memory to be added or removed in 4
matching SIMM module units. They all use the same memory types and speeds.
To get exactly 16MB in an IPC, you must remove the 8 1MB SIMMS and replace
them with 4 4MB SIMMS. You can, of course, mix memory types in 4 SIMM
groups.  So, you can add 4 4MB SIMMS in the 4 empty slots of an IPC,
resulting in 24MB.

These comments do not apply to the SPARCstation SLC, which uses the 1x36
SIMMS instead of the 4x9 SIMMS used in the other SS's. The SLC comes with
2 SIMMS installed and you can add 1 or 2 more to bring the memory to 12 or
16MB.

Even though the SS2 uses SIMMs with the same specifications as the SS1
line, SUN says they are not interchangeable. From the "HARDWARE AND
SOFTWARE CONSIDERATIONS" section of the SPARCstation 2 announcement:

> 1.  In order to achieve its high performance, SPARCstation 2 requires 80
>     nano-second SIMM modules. BUT NOT ALL 80-NANOSECOND SIMM MODULES CAN BE
>     SUPPORTED.  To ensure
>     long term reliability for customers, only SPARCstation 2 memory modules
>     (x116W) should be used.   The current SPARCstation 1, SPARCstation 1+, and
>     SPARCstation IPC memory is not supported in SPARCstation 2.

Anyone know what the difference is between the SS2 memory and the SS1+
memory?

Scott J. Kamin		{ico, att!uswat} !onecom!sjk
TelWatch Inc.  		(303) 440-4756  	FAX (303) 938-6703