Cmdtool and Shelltool go runaway after using Xterm

Joe Waddington joe at bwdlh111.BNR.CA
Wed Dec 5 13:00:00 AEST 1990

We are running X11R4 and OpenWindows on the same Sun3 and Sun4's.  We find
that sometimes after running X, when we start to run OpenWindows, some of
the cmdtools or shelltools go 'runaway'.  As best as we have been able to
track down, the problem has to do with the permissions that are set by
xterm.

Xterm checks to see if the group tty exists, and if it does, it sets the
permissions on the tty file to 600. If the group tty does not exist, then
the permissions are set to 622. Why? What harm is there in removing the
group tty?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Waddington       joe at bnr.ca        Bell Northern Research