Looking for Amiga <--> SPARCstation 1 disk exchange utilities

John Veregge john at nereid.jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Dec 9 07:35:11 AEST 1990

In article <630 at brchh104.bnr.ca>, Chris_F_Chiesa at cup.portal.com writes:
|> Is there any utility, PD or otherwise, for either the Amiga or the SPARC-
|> station, which will allow either of them to read/write the other's disk
|> format?  ...
|>
|> [[Ed's Note: Although there probably does not exist a Sparc->Amiga format
|> program, you could probably use MTOOLS to write your Sparc files out to
|> disk in MS-DOS format and then use some other Amiga tool to read the
|> MS-DOS files on your Amiga. -bdg]]

I am also interested in Amiga <==> Sparc disk transfers.

My use of 'man [-k] mtools' has been without success.  So, what be and
where be these MTOOLS?

[[Ed's Note: Since it seems to be a very commonly asked question, here is
the information for MTOOLS again. The program was first reviewed in v9n142
by Erach Irani (irani at umn.edu) who was looking for ways to transfer files
from his Sparcstation to an IBM PC. He concluded that MTOOLS was the
fastest/easiest way to do this. At the time of writing, there were a few
patches that dealt with writing in 720k format (low density) and the like.
I later (v9n212) got these from the author (Viktor Dukhovni -
viktor at math.princeton.edu) and made them available on Titan. So....

MTOOLS Main Program Source:

23~FTP	Hostname : uunet.uu.net (192.48.96.2)
	Directory: comp.sources.misc/volume11/sparc-mtools
	Filenames: part{01|02|03}.Z

(I'm not sure what kind of archive server services uunet offers - I keep
hearing rumors about them existing but being only for uunet customers.
Your best bet if you don't have FTP access would be to use BITFTP at
Princeton.)

MTOOLS Patches:

FTP	Hostname : titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30)
	Directory: sun-source
	Filename : mtools.patches
	Filesize : 11617 bytes

Archive Server Address: archive-server at rice.edu
Archive Server Command: send sun-source mtools.patches