OpenWindows error on 3/260 running 4.1

Randolf E. Klatt ittc!rklatt at uunet.uu.net
Sun Dec 9 08:25:08 AEST 1990

We have been trying to install OpenWindows 2.0 on a set of 3/260s running
SunOS4.1 and have had inconsistent results. Some of the machines came up
fine, but others (being served off the same nfs partition in some cases)
give 'Class keyboard error' messages before dumping you out of OW.

On further investigation, we discovered that on the DIP switch in the
keyboard, switch 8 was set 'on' for those machines that failed and 'off'
for those that worked. I have only ever seen the documentation mention
switch 1 so I wonder if anyone knows what these switches do and why two
3/260s manufactured at or around the same time would have different
settings. Anyone considering running OW 2.0 might want to check the
hardware first.

So, why does OW care about this DIP switch? Why don't 4/60s ever get this
error? Anyone know?

On a related subject, does anyone know how to get rid of the 'could not
contact selection service at blah' message when trying to run OW 2.0 on a
386i under 4.0.2? It seems to work but for the Sunview users you still
need to leave the regular selection_svc running. Even without it the
message is produced.

 Randolf Klatt
 uunet!ittc!rklatt
 rklatt at ittc.wec.com