Batch job control under unix

Joachim Holzfuss xphyhofu at ddathd21.bitnet
Wed Dec 5 13:00:00 AEST 1990

> I am trying to find information about batch job systems which are
> available for SunOS 4.1. Can anyone recommend any systems? I have been
> told of a freeware system called condor but have not been able to find the
> source.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So here are some offers:

1. batch

   Has been posted to net.sources in 1985, but has been updated since.  Has
   n-queues n-jobs open, max cpu, queue status files, priorities.  and a
   bunch of neat control stuff. Runs on SUNOS4.x and probably 3.x.  (needs
   the automounter patch below) ftp'able from pub/batch.tar.Z on
   neat.cs.toronto.edu [128.100.1.65].

2. MDQS

   A general queuing system, that also has a batch part in it.
   Contact: bcst at BRL.MIL
   Ftp it from vgr.brl.mil (128.63.16.6.) in /arch.

3. Condor

   Is much more than just a batchqueue. It runs the same job on several idle
   workstations (runs also with different operating systems).  It switches
   the machine, if the old one is getting a higher load.  Ftp it from
   shorty.cs.wisc.edu (128.105.2.8).

4) sun's batch

   Is controlable. I never recognized this , I didn't find the hint in the
   man pages. But %man 5 queuedefs shows you how to do it. Queuing has a bug
   in 4.0.3, is it fixed in 4.1?

PS: diff for batch.c to run on automounted (/tmp_mnt) directories:
% diff batch.c batch.c.prehofu
61d60
<       char *cwdirp;
331,338c330
<       /*
<        * if dir is /tmp_mnt/..... chop it off so automount for the sun's will
<        * work!
<        */
<       cwdirp = cwdirectory;
<       if(strncmp(cwdirectory, "/tmp_mnt/", 9) == 0) cwdirp += 8;
<       sprintf(cwdirectory, "%s", cwdirp);
<       fprintf(tf, "# directory: %s\n", cwdirectory );
---
>       fprintf(tf, "# directory: %s\n", cwdirectory );

== Dr. J. Holzfuss          BITNET: xphyhofu at ddathd21.bitnet  ==
== IAP, TH Darmstadt        X.400:  hofu at chaos.th-darmstadt.de =
== Schlossgartenstr.11      VOICE:  +/49-6151-162884          ==
== 61 Darmstadt, FRG                                          ==