IPI in a 4/280

Evan G. Bauman bauman at shell.com
Wed Dec 5 13:00:00 AEST 1990

I'd like to know if it is possible to install an IPI controller in a Sun
4/280.  We presently have a Xylogics 451 with one 600MB Eagle Drive (the
one that Sun used to sell before SMD-4) and a third party Xylogics 753
with 2 Fujitsu 2382 (1GB) drives attached.  We boot off of the Eagle.

Now we're running out of disk space and hesitate to add more SMD capacity
since we can't take SMD drives with us on an upgrade to a new Sun server.
A local company has offered to sell us a Xylogics IPI controller and some
Seagate IPI drives with the claim that they should work in our 4/280 and
co-exist peacefully with our present controllers.  He said we could even
boot off of the IPI disks.

Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

	Evan G. Bauman - Combustion/Reaction Engineering
	Shell Development Company - Westhollow Research Center
	PO Box 1380; Houston, TX 77251-1380
	bauman at shell.com     "The owls are not what they seem"