WARNING: Video Peaking on 17" Sun B/W Monitors

Gene H. Olson gene at zeno.mn.org
Wed Dec 5 13:00:00 AEST 1990

We have been having severe problems with Video Peaking on Sun 17"
Monochrome Sparcstation 1 monitors.  The symptoms are bright shadows to
the right of black text on white backgrounds.  The problem is accentuated
when the brightness is turned down, and the contrast is turned up.

The problem only affects the 17" external grayscale monochrome monitors
for the SparcStation.  The SLC monitor is different and looks fine to my
eyes.

Sun has been reasonably responsive in attempting to repair the monitors.
They have exchanged monitors and frame buffers, but the replacement units
are no better.  The field service people are sympathetic, but they can't
fix the problem.

Unfortunately Sun was unwilling to take the units back, or allow us to
upgrade to the much higher quality 19" monitors.  We complained within 2
weeks of purchasing the systems, and even though we withheld payment for
months, they wouldn't budge.  My salesperson seems willing to go through
with the upgrade, but has not been able to secure approval from the
factory.

Sun seems to realize there is a problem, because they have sent me 3
revisions of the frame buffer this year, and still promise a 4th.  They
seem to think the monitors lack contrast, and each frame buffer has
provided more contrast than the last.  Unfortunately, this is the wrong
track, since the newer frame buffers just aggravate the problem.
Increased contrast makes the shadows brighter and sharper.

I have gone to running the monitors with the brightness all the way up and
the contrast all the way down.  That mode seems to be most acceptable.
Newer frame buffers have so much contrast that even with the contrast all
the way down, it is still too much.  The best frame buffers we've received
are the oldest revision.

I would highly recommend everyone AVOID THESE MONITORS, and purchase the
19" units instead.  I got eye strain using one after only a few days.  I
have alternated using dumb terminals to let my eyes recover.

A good analog guy tells me that the VIDEO PEAKING on these monitors is
misadjusted.  I've opened the box and looked around, but all the controls
are unmarked.  I'm afraid to randomly tweak things w/o markings, so have I
not make progress here either.

I would be very interested to learn the location of the VIDEO PEAKING
control, or any other information that would help to fix the problem.
Also interested in comments from other people with the same problem.

Sun is a very fine company, and a good part of my personal fortune is
invested in the stock.  I have remained silent as long as I could bear,
but I can stand it no longer.  This is a problem that needs attention now.

Gene H. Olson             uunet!digibd!gene
Senior Staff Engineer     DigiBoard (612) 922-8055