What happens if the console is turned OFF?

Patrick Goebel patrick at casbs.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 5 13:00:00 AEST 1990

SHORT VERSION

Is it O.K. to power cycle a Sony 19" Trinitron color monitor on a GX 4/330
while the CPU is ON?

LONG VERSION

I am about to purchase a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) for our Sun
4/330 server and associated peripherals (such as an Exabyte and external
disk drive).  Our power is rarely off for more than a few seconds at a
time--just long enough to cause the system to attempt to reboot and
complain about fsck inconsistencies.  The server and peripherals are
clustered together but the console (a Sony Trinitron 19" color monitor) is
located 60 feet away in another room.  I'd rather not buy a separate UPS
for the monitor if I can be assured that having the console off while the
CPU is still running is not taboo.

Anyone know the answer?  I'm too chicken to try the obvious experiment.

Thanks!

patrick goebel--patrick at casbs.Stanford.EDU