Basic Questions

Jon Barandiaran jon_b at labein.es
Sat Dec 1 08:16:17 AEST 1990

Dear users:

I have some problems with SUN programs and I would be very pleased if
anybody can give me any suggestions.

1. I need to make a copy of the cshell in order to change its
   permissions, I need the permisions ---s--s--x because I want anybody to
   run this and the programs that I want to run from this cshell copy, that
   have the same permissions, with the privileges of the owner of the
   programs. I have used the same with a sh in SunOS and with both csh and
   sh in SCO Xenix and it works OK but in the case of csh and SunOS when a
   different user executes the copy of the cshell he isn't allowed to execute
   it and the kernel displays the messagge Permision denied. This occurs even
   if you execute it as su, the only one that is allowed to execute the copy
   of the csh is its owner.

   [[Ed's Note: Yes, /bin/csh won't run setuid for security reasons.
   However, as you pointed out, this does not apply to /bin/sh. In general
   it is a pretty idea to make each program setuid individually anyway
   instead of giving blanket setuid for all shell commands. -bdg]]

2. I am using Sunlink in order to make a task to task conection with a
   vax using Decnet. The Sun program acts as server and the Vax program acts
   as client. Usually all works well but if the conection fails and the
   error 87 appears the the conections always fails until somebody stops the
   Vax process manually. If any other error occurs the the Vax program exits
   by itself and then the Sun's one is able to restore the comunication. I
   will like to know  why this doesn't happen with error 87.

3. I am using Sun GKs and sometimes the colours that I have programmed
   are different from the ones that are being programmed, these occurs
   executing the same executable different days.

4. I have problems with a program written in Lucid common lisp and ART,
   this program uses some C functions defined using loas-foreign-files. The
   problem is that in the C functions  I use a file and a socket and all that
   is written from ART or lisp to the standard output appears in the standard
   output and in the file and the socket as well.

If any of you have the solutions or any suggestion about one of these
problems pleas e write me through EUROKOM or directly by e-mail
(jon_b at labein.es).
				Jon Barandiaran.