Help for background colour setting on OpenWindows2

Ivan Herman ivan at cwi.nl
Sat Dec 1 08:16:17 AEST 1990

I have recently mnoved (back) onto a SUN SparcStation and I have the
choice of using either MIT/X or the XNews server (running with
OpenWindows2). I would prefer to use the second one but (what a heresy!) I
prefer using another window manager and not the "official" Open Look one.
Now, everything works fine, I can start another window manager but I
cannot handle the background colour porperly. Indeed, if I set the
background colour by xsetroois fine  fine as long as I do not move a
window; in this case the dull gray default colset back for the background.

Now, I have found in the OpenWindow window manager manual an entry to
change the background colour; namely, one should set the resource value
WorkspaceColor to a given value. Furthermore, the manual says that if I
set this value to zero, the background colour is not touched by the window
manager.  I vaguely remember that in an earlier version of XNews, this was
the trick to set the background colour, but this time it does not work any
more (as a matter of fact, why should it? If I run another window manager,
resources of the OpenWindow window manager is none of my business any
more).

Any other trick which helps?  (please mail me, because I do not regularly
read these newsgroups)