J. Porter Clark jpc at avdms8.msfc.nasa.gov
Sat Dec 8 11:52:00 AEST 1990

The question I asked, stripped to the essentials, was:

>Is there some reason that biod and nfsd never seem to get swapped out?

Since the clue to the answer is in the manual, I apologize for asking!
All of the responses I received were more or less along the lines of the
first one I received, which was from tar at math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey):

>nfsd and biod run as system processes.  The /usr/etc/nfsd program
>just opens a UDP socket, registers it with the portmapper, and invokes
>the nfssvc(2) system call.  That system call never returns (under normal
>circumstances).  The man page for nfssvc(2) under 4.1 says:
>
>   Both system calls result in kernel-only processes with
>   user memory discarded.
>
>Since kernel memory is never swapped, nfsd and biod can't be swapped.

To date, I have also received similar data from:

ekrell at ulysses.att.com (Eduardo Krell)
davide%cadillac.cad.mcc.com at mcc.com (David Eckelkamp)
convex!datri at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony A. Datri)

Thanks to all who responded!