CMUSIC and related programs

Bradford Garton garton at cunixa.cc.columbia.edu
Thu Dec 13 02:56:44 AEST 1990

In article <749 at brchh104.bnr.ca> penrose at edda.css.gov (Christopher Penrose) writes:
>|There is a powerful program for modern composition, signal processing and
>|synthesis called cmusic that will run on many UNIX machines (including
>|most Suns, the NeXT machine, and the DEC VAX line).
>
>You may also obtain another related program, csound, via ftp at
>ems.media.mit.edu.

There's also cmix, available via anonymous ftp from princeton.edu.  It
reads/writes soundfile scompatible with both the CARL package and csound.
I believe cmix is in general the fastest of the three, and I prefer it
because it allows one to use the "power and flexibility" of C to do
bizarre things to sound.  And it's free.

Brad Garton
Columbia University Music Department
brad at woof.columbia.edu