CMUSIC and related programs

Christopher Penrose penrose at edda.css.gov
Tue Dec 11 05:02:38 AEST 1990

|There is a powerful program for modern composition, signal processing and
|synthesis called cmusic that will run on many UNIX machines (including
|most Suns, the NeXT machine, and the DEC VAX line).  cmusic is a rewriten
|and much extended version of the computer music software developed at Bell
|Labs over several decades.

You may also obtain another related program, csound, via ftp at
ems.media.mit.edu.  csound has many more features than cmusic, faster
execution, and is free.  To obtain cmusic,  a distribution fee of $250
must be paid to obtain the "free" CARL software distribtution.  The CARL
distribution does, however, have some MPU-401 centered MIDI utilities
which might be very useful if you intend on interfacing an MPU-401 to your
machine.  I believe that Susan Fichera, a system administrator at
CME/CARL, reads this very list (we love you Susan!) and you can get more
details about the distribution by sending her email:  sfl at wendy.ucsd.edu
or sfl at carl.ucsd.edu.

More free MIDI code can be had via ftp at ucsd.edu.  I haven't tried any
of the code yet; however, it seems much more generalized than the MPU-401
code included in the CARL software distribution.

Christopher Penrose
jesus!penrose