Dump parameters for Exabyte

Matt Crawford matt at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Tue Jul 31 01:13:32 AEST 1990

|I have conducted tests on 106m consumer 8mm videotapes.  They work okay in
|Exabyte drives, but you can only fit 1.075 gigabytes onto them.  Two
|gigabytes is the MAXIMUM tape size the drive will take, but 112 meters is
|apparently not the largest size of tape available.

This can't be true.  Every week we dump fourteen partitions to a single
tape, and the sum of the sizes is shown in the "used" column of df's
output to be 1230727 kB.  Looking at the tape, measuring the radii of the
hub, the unused portion, and the whole tape, it seems that 2/3 of the
tape's length was used.

We dump to a local tape with blocks of 100.  Maybe that acocunts for the
difference somehow, although I don't quite see how.

Matt Crawford	     		matt at oddjob.uchicago.edu