IBM files to UNIX via 1/2 inch tape

Dale Mensch intran!lightning!dale at uunet.uu.net
Tue Jul 31 00:55:24 AEST 1990

I'm looking for combined UNIX & IBM expertise:  We are running on Sun
Micro workstations (UNIX, of course), and need a way to get binary files
from an IBM MVS host to the Suns.  We need to retain the original file
names, too.

Can someone steer us in a useful direction?  (We tried dumping to tape via
IEBGENR and IEBCOPY, and puzzling through IBM manuals to find the raw
format of the files, but it looks like those tape formats are intimately
associated with the track and sector locations from the IBM disk drive...)

Thanks in advance.

Dale Mensch-Xerox Corp/Intran Operation.-Mpls. MN.- uunet!intran!dale