Nested Exports

Joe Smith jms at tardis.tymnet.com
Tue Jul 3 11:54:33 AEST 1990

In article <9285 at brazos.Rice.edu> km at mathcs.emory.edu writes:
>Does the restriction that you cannot export both a tree and a subtree on
>the same filesystem still apply? If so does this mean that you can't
>export a whole partition to one machine and a restricted piece to another?
>Whats the reason for this restriction?

The reasons may have to do with the following:
Q: Given that one directory is to be read/write for a particular client and
   is to be read-only for everyone else, and given the inode of a particular
   file, is this file part of the read/write directory or not?
A: Due to the fact that files can have hard links, which allow the same file
   to be accessed by potentially different names under the same or different
   directories, the answer is can be both "yes" and "no" simultaneously.

The only thing that can be determined is whether or not a given file is on
the same file system (disk partition, NFS mount) as another.

I'm sure there are other reasons, too.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms at tardis.tymnet.com or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C41    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."