Nested Exports

Wilhelm Methfessel meth at ztivax.siemens.com
Tue Jul 31 17:25:43 AEST 1990

In article <9469 at brazos.Rice.edu> jay at silence.princeton.nj.us (Jay Plett) writes:
  >You can do that anyway.  I tried running Jan-Simon Pendry's amd (an
  >automounter) on DS3100s.  It managed to exercise some bug in Ultrix where
  >things like pwd wouldn't work because the kernel didn't recognize the
  >mount-point while walking up through it.  If a server (Sun, Convex,
  >Whatever) exports a sub-tree of a filesystem, you could have amd mount
  >this subtree on a DS3100, then do "cd /mount/point" followed by "cd .."
  >and walk right up into the server's parent of the exported directory.
  >Cute.  Just one of the reasons we found for getting rid of the DS3100s.
  >Still, if Ultrix can do it, no doubt any other O/S can be coaxed to do it
  >as well, given kernel sources.

We use a DEC 5810 with ULTRIX 3.1c as server, which exports separate
subtrees to several Suns (hardmounted). When I do "cd /mount/point"
followed by "cd .." on a Sun I cannot walk up to the servers parent, but
to the /root of the Sun! I don't know, if this is really done by ULTRIX,
or by the Suns. But this configuration does exactly, what we want it to
do.

Wilhelm Methfessel           UUCP:     uunet|mcsun!unido!ztivax!meth
Siemens AG, ZFE IO 2                   meth at ztivax.UUCP
8000 Muenchen 83             Internet: meth at ztivax.siemens.com
Otto Hahn Ring 6             Phone:    +49 89 6363894