X/Open support for 386i ???

Steve Tynor tynor at prism.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 24 00:48:52 AEST 1990

I just called 1-800-USA-4SUN to spend some hard earned dollars on Openlook
for my 386i. I was told that only version 1.0 is available for the 386i
and that there are no official plans to bring the 386i version up to 2.0.

Is Sun dropping the Intel line?  (Say it ain't so...) What about the
rumored 486i? I'd been told previously that when Sun started shipping the
486i (December 1990), SunOS 4.1 would become available on the [34]86i's.

Assuming that Sun will stop supporting the 386i, is it worth my dollars
(this is a personal machine) to get OL 1.0? Are 1.1 and 2.0 significantly
[faster | better | less buggy]?

    Steve Tynor
    tynor at prism.gatech.edu