Why doesn't Sun use the wonderful SunNet Licensing

ittc!fbresz at uunet.uu.net ittc!fbresz at uunet.uu.net
Wed Jul 11 03:08:29 AEST 1990

Having just read the article in SunTech Journal May/June 1990.  I find
that SunNet licensing is being pushed heavily by Sun.

First let me say this.  I think in concept SunNet licensing is probably a
great idea to keep my software costs down.  I use FRAME and the floating
licenses really saves me some money.  I have 68 machines and 16 licenses
for FRAME.  I have never seen more than 5 in use at any one time but
that's another issue.

Now why isn't Sun using this fabulous product they have invented.  Having
so many machines I buy a lot of Sun software.  FORTRAN, OPENWindows,
GUIDE, TE100, SunLINK X.25, DOSWindows etc.  Anyway 2 of these
OPENWindows, TE100 are site license so they are no big deal.  But all
others have separate licensing issues or (will have, they haven't FCS'ed
FORTRAN 1.3 or GUIDE or OPENWindows 2.0 yet).  I know for certain I have
to pay more for each license of GUIDE.  If it comes with SunNet licensing
I will be utterly amazed.

Now for my biggest complaint. I purchased 15 licenses for DOSWindows and I
ought to be able to have the licenses FLOAT around the building but
NOOOOOOO, it doesn't work.  Now I may be strong-armed into buying 53 more
licenses of this beast just because I have a few engineers who "REFUSE" to
learn anything new.  I have heard at least 10 times I already know "DOS"
(choke) word processor and I don't want to learn another.

Now if Sun had their act together I could just float the licenses around
the building and everyone would be happy.  Is this too much to ask?

					Frank P. Bresz }*{
					ITTC Network Administrator
|fbresz at ittc.wec.com |  My opinions are my own, I'm not paid
|uunet!ittc!fbresz   |  enough to make an official statement
|Fax: (412)733-6444  |  |      THIS SPACE FOR SALE!!!       |