Has anyone tried the quota system?

Don Lewis del at thrush.mlb.semi.harris.com
Thu Jul 12 11:27:15 AEST 1990

In article <9538 at brazos.Rice.edu> pcg at compsci.aberystwyth.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
|Having too many mount points is really an exaggeration. I think that one
|mount point per server is all that is needed. Each server should have a
|directory with its name under which it mounts all filesystems that it must
|export. The resulting tree is like:
|
|		/server1/fs0/...
|		/server1/fs1/...
|		/server2/fsA/...
|		/server3/fsX/...
|		/server3/fsY/...
|		/server3/fsZ/...
|
|Where if you are on server1 you just mount your devices onto fs0 and fs1,
|whereas you NFS mount the entire /server2 and /server3 from the other
|servers.

Nope, sorry, this won't work, at least not on most machines (i.e. Suns).
Nfs mounts on the clients don't follow mounts on the server.  In your
example, on server1, the directories /server3/{fsX,fsY,fsZ} would all be
empty.  I do remember seeing a SunOS source patch at one time that makes
NFS server behave the way you describe.

|This organization reduces dramatically the number of mounted filesystems,
|which is *good* for many reasons (and helps prevent getcwd() lockups on
|pre-4.1 systems,

Not true in this case.  If /server2 and /server3 are mount points, then it
is real easy for something to hang because of stat()'ing these directories
when one of these servers is down.

Don "Truck" Lewis                      Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  del at mlb.semi.harris.com     PO Box 883   MS 62A-028
Phone:     (407) 729-5205              Melbourne, FL  32901