Checking for DocumentFonts before printing

Brian Fitzgerald fitz at mml0.meche.rpi.edu
Mon Jul 23 01:57:24 AEST 1990

I would like information about print spoolers that have some way of
checking that the required DocumentFonts had already been downloaded to
the printer. A way to do this is described in chapters 10 (Printer
Queries) and 12 (Writing a Print Spooler) of Adobe's "PostScript Language
Program Design" (green book).  Basically, I want my spooler to do anything
but print the document if the font is not in the printer. Possibilities
include printing an error message on the printer, or logging an error
message, or displaying an error message on the workstation console.

I am wondering if
- there is an upgrade or patch to the software I have that does this.
- there is some other program, preferably public domain that does this.

Software:	pscomm.c 2.2 87/11/17 (in Transcript 2.1)
		Sun pcnfd.c 1.4 (c) 1986 (in Sun PCNFS 3.0)
		T3 word processor r2.3

It would be ok if I could just prevent the printing of T3-produced
postscript files spooled from my PC's unless the T3-specific fonts are
loaded. I realize that I can just prepend the fonts to each document, but
I'd rather not do this because it increases the size of each postscript
file.

Post the answer or send me e-mail (and all flames and inquiries) by 8/5/90
and I'll summarize in the newsgroup with the most interest, with a short
note to the others.

Brian Fitzgerald